[CentOS] how do export a block device via eSATA?

Sun Feb 13 21:59:55 UTC 2011
Rudi Ahlers <Rudi at SoftDux.com>

On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 11:35 PM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:
> On 02/13/11 1:21 PM, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>> I'm trying to build a dense eSATA enclosure with say 16 or 24 drives :)
>
> thats a stunningly bad way to go about it.
>
> A) if you want JBOD, use a SAS/SATA enclosure with a SAS host card, as
> SATA doesn't support multichannel multiplexing.

mmm, I didn't think of this :)

> or
> B) if you want a SAN, use iSCSI or FCoE or something.

As I said, I'm trying todo something cheaper. These are super
expensive in our country.

> or
> C) if you want a NAS, use NFS.   this is the best solution for many
> applications.

We already use iSCSI, which is a bit quicker than NFS

I'm merely exploring this "new" technology, seeing as so many vendor
incorporate it into cheap NAS devices (which are normally limited to 2
- 5 drives) to see if it could actually be used on a bigger scale.