[CentOS] server specifications

Mon Feb 14 05:38:48 UTC 2011
William Warren <hescominsoon at emmanuelcomputerconsulting.com>

On 2/14/2011 12:29 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 12:16 AM, Rob Kampen<rkampen at kampensonline.com>  wrote:
>> Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>>> Pleae, name a single instance in the last 10 years where ECC
>>> demonstrably saved you work, especially if you made sure ti burn in
>>> the ssytem components on servers upon their first bootup...
>> Twice in the last two years my intel server mb with ECC RAM showed errors
>> (after moving system physically) and thus I did a reseat (after cleaning) of
>> the modules and all is now well. No data lost, complete confidence -
>> definitely gets my vote for servers!!
> Same system? Did you burn it in (running it under serious load with
> memory and CPU testing tools for a day or two after initial
> installation)? And given that you opened it up, I also assume you
> cleaned out accumulated dust and cleaned the filters.
A burn in only tests the ram at burn in.  Later as parts wear(and
electronic parts DO wear) bit errors can begin.  There's two ways to
hanlde this:
1. spend maybe 5% more for ecc memory so bit errors can be either fixed
or alerte3d automatically
2. save 5% money wise but loose more time to burn in your system at
regular intervals to make sure nothing is failing
3. Do nothing.  Save the 5% and go with the...it's worked before...

When number 3 bites you in the arse the costs of your penny-pinching
laziness will be many orders of magnitude higher..due to file system
corruption, backup corruption..etc etc etc.  If the system is doing bit
errors those bit errors WILL show up in your backups.  If the machine
has been in service for years...the costs are even more drastic.  Spend
5% on ECC and number 3 won't bite you in the arse...unless you don't
monitor your systems at all..then you are going to get hosed anyway.
This is one time the 5% is worth the cost.