[CentOS] Journal Aborts in VMware ESX (Filesystem Corruption)

Mon Feb 14 13:31:22 UTC 2011
Kwan Lowe <kwan.lowe at gmail.com>

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 8:00 AM, Adam Tauno Williams
<awilliam at whitemice.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-02-14 at 12:08 +0000, Keith Beeby wrote:
>> Hi,
>> So the 'fix' is applied directly to the host os,
>
> no, to the *guest* OS instances.  [please, do not top-post].
>
>> is this the correct thing to do?
>> sysctl -w vm.min_free_kbytes = 8192
>
> No space(s) I believe.
>
> sysctl -w vm.min_free_kbytes=8192
>
> I'm still not entirely clear as to why this setting should/will make a
> difference in maintaining filesystem integrity.

It's certainly possible that the error I was receiving was a different
reason, though similar symptoms. We started seeing filesystems go
read-only, and only rebooting would clear it up.