[CentOS] User Details

Tue Feb 15 15:37:12 UTC 2011
James Bensley <jwbensley at gmail.com>

On 3 February 2011 12:45, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com> wrote:
> But the result for normal users is that command like "useradd",
> "chkconfig", and "service" need to be typed out with their full path,
> such as "/usr/sbin/useradd" or "/sbin/chkconfig".

Thanks Nico, I was aware of this but I couldn't find the useradd
command at the time

> This also means that
> if you become root by doing a "sudo' command, it doesn't get added to
> your PATH. without some additional options.

I see, I didn't know this, this is why I was being thrown because when
using sudo I wasn't temporarily inheriting root's $PATH. This makes
sense.

>> -How to set/change an existing users home folder path
>
> /usr/sbin/useradd -d [new directory]
>
>> -How to list all users
>
> getent passwd
>
>> -How to list all groups
>
> getent group
>
> These getent commands will also pull NIS or certain types of LDAP
> data, and mix it with the contents of /etc/passwd or /etc/group, just
> for your information. Unsorting them can be awkward.

This is all very user, thanks very much :D

Despite being told here the answer, I found it myself when logged in
as root, 'which' showed me the full path, like 'locate' so logging
back in as my normal user I was able to 'sudo /usr/sbin/useradd ....'.

Many thanks all!

--
James.

http://www.jamesbensley.co.cc/
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; Those who understand
Vigesimal, and J others...?