[CentOS] Any update on 5.6 / 6?

Wed Feb 16 13:18:09 UTC 2011
John R. Dennison <jrd at gerdesas.com>

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 01:50:55PM +0100, David Sommerseth wrote:

> Exactly!  Supporters who could most probably do even more, than just to sit
> here idle waiting for the next release - if we only knew what the issues
> are they are facing.

	I find it amusing that all these offers of help and assistance,
	even the round-about ones such as this, occur when people get
	antsy about the release.  Did you step up when the call for
	people to get involved at the very beginning of the CentOS 6
	release cycle occurred?  From everything I've heard on the
	various IRC channels the response to that initial call for help
	was, shall we say, lackluster at best.

	It's incredibly easy to consume; much more difficult to produce.

	And no, I am not singling out _you_, specifically, on this.  But
	between the people on this list wanting the release to happen
	and wanting updates, and those on the forums that I can only
	describe as "possessed by a large sense of entitlement" as
	compared to the people that have actually contributed time and
	effort into making it a reality I see a huge discrepancy.  And
	no, I've done nothing whatsoever to contribute either, other
	than not pester them for updates and demanding a release to
	occur on my time-line rather than theirs.

	If people want transparency in the process (which I include
	myself in to some extent; I feel things could, and honestly
	should, be more open, for some value of more) then I must point
	out that the project's upstream provides no transparency at all,
	including a complete lack of release time-line.  If they don't
	do so, why all the clamoring for CentOS to do so?  Just a
	thought.

							John

--
Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give
offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-bullshit