[CentOS] Authentication Problems

Wed Feb 16 14:16:17 UTC 2011
James Bensley <jwbensley at gmail.com>

On 16 February 2011 13:00, ... wrote:
> you realize that there are no passwords in /etc/passwd, so if you
> delete /etc/shadow and rebuild it using pwconv there will be no
> passwords in the new /etc/shadow... depending on the exact state,
> you either won't be able to log in, or the machine will be totally
> open.

Yes sorry I meant that the other way round :)

> i'd suggest looking at the log files (/var/log/secure and
> .../messages), for indications of why you're having trouble logging
> in as the other user. you can also, in a terminal window from a
> "mere mortal" (not root) login, try:
>
>   su - <user>
>
> as that may give you some feedback. something like having an invalid
> shell will cause what you're seeing.

As root, if I 'su - webdevuser' it doesn't prompt me for a password
and drops me in as the user, presumably what is intended?

--
James.

http://www.jamesbensley.co.cc/
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; Those who understand
Vigesimal, and J others...?