[CentOS] openoffice & command line printing

Fri Feb 18 14:30:55 UTC 2011
Gregory P. Ennis <PoMec at PoMec.Net>

On 18/02/2011, at 2:29 PM, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:

> Everyone,
>
> I am trying to print some *.doc files from the command line with
> openoffice on centos 5.5 with using cups as the print server.
>
> I can open the file from the command line with open office and then
> print it manually from the gui, but when I open the file and print from
> command line I am not getting anything.
>
> The commands that I have used are the following :
>
> /usr/bin/openoffice.org -pt lpt4 /mnt/lp/document.doc
> -terminate_after_init

This works for me on LibreOffice on my Mac (also uses Cups)

LibreOffice 3.3  330m12(Build:1)

/path/to/soffice -headless -pt PRINTER_NAME doco.doc

Note though that if you wanted to do this outside of X11, it might fail...

Cameron,

Thanks for your suggestion!!!!

On my system that command results in printing the document on the
desired printer, but does not return back to the shell prompt.  If I add
-terminate_after_init  so that the command line is :

openoffice.org -headless -pt lpt3 document.doc -terminate_after_init

The above command returns back to the prompt but the document is not
printed.

Any other ideas would be appreciated!!!

Greg