[CentOS] Any update on 5.6 / 6?

Fri Feb 18 20:36:58 UTC 2011
Ray Van Dolson <rayvd at bludgeon.org>

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 03:25:23PM -0500, Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Friday, February 18, 2011 02:54:38 pm Ray Van Dolson wrote:
> > In an industry where one-man companies are not uncommon, you learn to
> > never read too much into titles. :)
>
> True enough.
>
> While my title is 'CIO' it probably should be 'IT Department' as I
> only have a consultant and a group of volunteers to help me out.  But
> the title does open doors that other titles would not open, in those
> venues where such things count. Bob Hawkins at EMC calls me 'Mr.
> Make-Do' and I have been tempted to get some cards printed with that
> title on them....
>
> On tech lists I find the title to be more of a negative, since the
> word 'suit' ends up being bandied about.....the only time I wear a
> suit is when the occasion demands (like the Lieutenant Governor of
> North Carolina is visiting).  Otherwise it's mostly 'business casual'
> and even jeans, depending upon what I'm doing that day.....
>
> In any case, that's one reason I typically drop the .sig completely
> on this and other lists, unless the situation warrants.
>
> The problem with being essentially a one-man IT department (or a one
> or two or three man distribution release team) is that can create
> bottlenecks.
>
> And I've found that having help doesn't always reduce the workload or
> make the work go faster, and I'm sure Karanbir and Johnny and the
> others doing the release (you know who you are) would agree.
>
> Or, to pull out the standard computer science / information systems
> reference, read 'The Mythical Man-Month' and get enlightened.

You can change your .signature depending on who your audience is I
guess. :)

I was thinking of times when we've interviewed people for $DAYJOB who
are applying for a SysAdmin spot (because that's what their skillset
essentially was), but they list such things as VP of IT, CIO, etc on
their resume because they were at a small shop.

Obviously always exceptions.... but as you alluded to, "know your
audience" is a good rule of thumb.

Anyways, way off topic, but interesting discussion.

Ray
Undisputed (and sometimes Benevolent) Emperor of Ray's Linux Endeavors