[CentOS] BInd Problem or Update SSL ?

Sat Feb 19 05:57:40 UTC 2011
Larry Vaden <vaden at texoma.net>

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 7:39 PM, James Hogarth <james.hogarth at gmail.com> wrote:

>> With 20/20 hindsight, it is clear that I shouldn't have posted the
>> original post asking the list for help and hopefully informing other
>> potential targets of the risk (read: there were no responses to the
>> original post, therefore it was posted to the wrong audience).
>
> Err... this isn't the whole story/truth.

As a result of "this isn't whole story/truth," I searched GMail and
Thunderbird and here's what I found:

1) GMail says I sent a message To: centos at centos.org Sun, 23 Jan 2011
20:03:22 -0600 Subject: sources of bind-9.7.2-P3 rpms for Centos 4.8
and 5.5? Message-ID:
<AANLkTimmNnEs-=oTzp29J3vhGFgvc9pc4eeoJCfOceDZ at mail.gmail.com>
2) GMail says there was neither a bounce nor a echo post from the mailing list
3) Thunderbird agrees with Gmail re #2
4) New to me (see #7, but more likely as a result of the stress of the
situation of wondering what other big URLs were pointing at leaf
nodes) is a log entry indicating I got a request for a confirmation
from centos-request Jan 23 and Jan 26 and a welcome Jan 26
5) It is possible that I may have unsubscribed from centos but
apparently not from centos-devel
6) If I was unsubscribed, it was definitely posted to the wrong list
7) One nice thing about Alzheimers is that you meet so many new people
each day and they act like they've known you all your life :)
8) apologies to the CentOS Community and CentOS Team are due and issued.

This has been revealing;  I used to think that with 9 stents and a
pacemaker, I could be a stand in on the "6 (read: 1) Million Dollar
Man" TV show if it ever went into reruns :)  Through this experience,
starting with a hacked or poisoned name server, or, quite frankly, the
perception of one, I have learned what people really see.

best regards/ldv/vaden at texoma.net