[CentOS] Any update on 5.6 / 6?

Mon Feb 21 02:36:15 UTC 2011
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 02/20/2011 07:30 PM, Dag Wieers wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Feb 2011, Johnny Hughes wrote:

>>> For RHEL6, lets make that 14 weeks.  And RHEL5.6 got released 9 weeks after
>>> RHEL6.
>>
>> The FIRST build of a distribution (the .0 of 4.0 or 5.0) takes MUCH
>> longer than the subsequent rebuilds.  This is because you have NOTHING
>> to start from except SRPMS.  You also do not know the environment that
>> upstream is using to run their "Build Roots" in.  We also know nothing
>> about which packages will and will not build as written (there are many
>> that require us to research and provide hints to the build suystem.
>> Hints are things that need to be added that are not called out in the SRPM).
>
> CentOS 4.0 was released 23 days after RHEL4.0
> CentOS 5.0 was released 29 days after RHEL5.0
> CentOS 6.0 is *not* released 103 days after RHEL6.0
>
> Source: wikipedia
>
> Granted, RHEL6 is larger than RHEL5 which was larger than RHEL4, still...
>
> PS And this time I am not off-by-1 (month) ;-)

It is not done, I don't know when it will be done.  All the jumping up
and down and screaming is not going to get it done any sooner.

On the initial pass through builder for C4, maybe 30 packages needed to
be fixed because the links were bad.

On the initial pass through builder for c5, maybe 20 packages needed to
be fixed.

On the initial pass through builder for c6, there are hundreds of
packages that need to be analyzed.

Try this Dag.  Take the SL rolling distro RPMS and the RHEL6 RPMS and
run tmverifyrpms against it.