[CentOS] security cameras

Wed Feb 23 19:00:36 UTC 2011
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On 2/23/2011 12:36 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 02/23/11 10:16 AM, Keith Roberts wrote:
>> I think you will get far better video quality using CCTV
>> cameras than a webcam on a USB port.
>
> you may think that, but those solutions you mentioned are all NTSC
> composite video, while even a $30 USB webcam now days is 2 megapixels or
> higher.
>
> anyways, the OP wants cameras that connect to the network and get their
> power off the ethernet cable, not a USB or a CCTV camera.

Trendnet has some.  You'd need to get the java plugin working to view
them in a linux browser - not sure about full-time recording software.
If you don't have enough to justify a POE switch, you can get individual
power bricks that plug into the line to add power at a convenient place.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com