[CentOS] OT: Ecommerce hosting

Thu Feb 24 18:03:58 UTC 2011

ken wrote:
> On 02/23/2011 09:18 PM Thomas Dukes wrote:
>> Would appreciate some suggestions for ecommerce hosting.  Been using,
>> cough, cough, godaddy, for about 5 or 6 yrs but in the last year or so,
they
>> really suck. Did the hosting myself for a while prior to going with
godaddy but
>> I don't have time to babysit. Seems godaddy would rather spend millions
>> advertising during the Super Bowl than put that money to good use.
<snip>
>  Adjust your expectations accordingly.  For instance, I'd stay away from
> Blue Host.  They're inexpensive and have just one hosting package.  And
> they don't make adjustments to it to fit your needs.  They're fine for
> someone who just wants to have "their own" website.  And they have lots
> of ports open, including for https.  But they have a lot of ports open
> :) and it's part of the hosting package.

"One hosting package"? Dunno, I'm paying for Hostmonster/Bluehost (same
thing), and a) have had very little trouble, and b) get reasonably
knowledgable people. They do offer a choice of o/s, too. Admittedly, I
have a very low-traffic website, and I don't have any of the commercial
packages that don't come with the basic, but *shrug* they're ok.

         mark