[CentOS] CentOS 5 Security Updates

Thu Feb 24 20:05:58 UTC 2011
Ian Murray <murrayie at yahoo.co.uk>

> > I  know the development team is furiously working to get 5.6 out the door
> >  so I understand that there will be delays. However, it was my
> >  understanding that "Critical" security updates and those that are
> >  "remotely exploitable" would be pushed out ahead of 5.6.
>
> That is my  understanding, too. However, I see that the only "Critical"
> one on your list  is java-1.6.0-sun. This is not included in  CentOS...

As far as I understand this is a highly untrivial task and breaks the "binary
compatible" rule. Nevertheless, this was attempted one or two dot releases ago,
I think as an experiment as much as anything.

I am not sure how the CentOS team thought of that exercise, in hindsight. I
would be interested in knowing. From the explanation that Russ gave, it was a
mighty effort, as far as I remember.