[CentOS] current bind version

Thu Feb 24 21:54:04 UTC 2011
Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com>

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 9:31 AM, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:
> On 02/24/2011 07:12 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

>> I went through this last week with OpenSSH version 5.x (not currently
>> available for RHEL or CentOS 5 except by third party provided
>> software), and bash. Turns out that OpenSSH 5.x doesn't read your
>> .bashrc for non-login sessions, OpenSSH 4.x did. RHEL 6 addressed this
>> for normal use by updating bash so it gets handled more like people
>> expect it to behave, but I had users very upset that the new OpenSSH
>> with the new features did not handle their reset PATH settings from
>> their .bashrc.
>
> I would think that using an enterprise distribution of Linux where
> several hundreds of developers are testing the integration would serve
> you better than building your own openssh, your own bind, your own
> "everything else" and trying to bolt it onto the backport model that red
> hat uses to keep your stuff secure.

Nice try. It was a commercially provided OpenSSH distribution, sold
for RHEL users, with thousands of users. (I'll send you vendor name
privately, if you're curious.)

I agree it gets into serious pain: this is one of the many reasons
that I try to dissuade people from inserting their own components,
built directly from source, not under RPM.