[CentOS] IP6 Anyone?

Sat Feb 26 20:41:31 UTC 2011
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

On 02/26/11 12:33 PM, Rainer Duffner wrote:
> With IPV6, you don't need to run it on a different port.
> Just bind it to a different IP in the same prefix ;-)
> So, that port-8080 stuff will be gone pretty soon.
> In a year or two.
> Cough-cough.

when I first saw the spec for IPv6 I mistakenly thought they'd done away
with ports entirely, and that you'd just use an IP range for a server
for different services... but that would be a mess for DNS, having to
use a different hostname for ssh rather than http etc, a physical host
would likely use a subdomain in that scheme (ssh.myhost.mydomain.com vs
http.myhost.mydomain.com  etc etc)