[CentOS] PCI ethernet card for CentOS

Sun Feb 27 03:09:30 UTC 2011
Ryan Wagoner <rswagoner at gmail.com>

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 10:28 AM, compdoc <compdoc at hotrodpc.com> wrote:
>> I see that there are many Realtek RTL8169S gigabit cards
>>going for a song on eBay.
>

> I've always liked and used Realtek cards, and I use the RTL8169S in my
> servers. However, the RTL8169S has one problem: overheating. If you buy any,
> make sure they include a heatsink. Those without a heatsink are prone to
> locking up if the temperatures inside your case get too high.

That just confirms my experiences. I've had issues with onboard
Realtek cards and linux. On one desktop the Realtek card would work
until the box was restarted. You would have to hard power it off and
back on for it to work again. That same box worked fine with Windows.

I stick with Intel for reliability and ease of use. You will find
higher end motherboards mostly use Intel NICs. I've also had good
experiences with onboard Broadcom NICs. For the price the Intel aren't
much more. If you don't need gigabit, like in the original poster's
case, then you can grab Intel 10/100 cards for cheap.

Ryan