[CentOS] Could CentOS 5.5 on newer hardware make it freeze or shutdown?

Sun Feb 27 18:29:52 UTC 2011
cwlists <cwlists at gmail.com>

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 22:48, cwlists <cwlists at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 00:14, compdoc <compdoc at hotrodpc.com> wrote:
>>>I have built a new PC on which I've installed CentOS 5.5 64-bit (with
>>>updates) which after some hours of running suddenly either hard freeze
>>>or instant power off.
>>
>> Can you check a setting in the bios - see if there's an option named: PCI
>> Latency Timer
>
> No, only some frequency adjustment of the PCI-Express bus.
>
> Update:
> After some more days of running Fedora 14 those disk timeouts has
> started to appear. After a search on the net about similar NCQ
> problems I added this to /etc/rc.local yesterday, and so far I haven't
> seen any disk timeouts since then:
>
> for D in sd{b,c,d,e,f,g} ; do
>        echo 1 > /sys/block/$D/device/queue_depth
> done
>
> Eventually I wish to install CentOS 6 and hopefully I will not have
> the same problem as with CentOS 5.5. In the mean time I will make a
> try with Scientific Linux 6 alpha or RHEL 6 beta2 and see what
> happens.

Update 2:
Since the 25:th of January the PC has been running SL 6 (6rolling,
dated 2011-01-21) without any problems at all (except the NCQ problem
which has been solved by the earlier mentioned solution above).

I'm still a bit confused that an OS can make a PC to suddenly power
off, but at least now I feel confident that I don't have to replace
any part of the newly bought hardware if I run RHEL/CentOS/SL 6.

//Christian