[CentOS] CentOS 4.8

Thu Feb 3 22:02:29 UTC 2011
Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey at BUC.com>

On 2/3/2011 4:43 PM, Y. K. Liu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I installed CentOS 4.8 (not CentOS 5) on VMware Fusion using an ISO
> file I downloaded. During the installation, it asked me to enter a
> user name and its password. I tried to enter root for the user name,
> but it would not let me do that. So I had to enter a non-root user name.
>
> So I did not have the root user name and password when the
> installation completed. I only had a non-privileged user name, and
> could not do any sudo work. How can I solve this problem?
>
> I noticed that CentOS 5 (not the 4.8 I needed to install) asking to
> enter the password for root during the installation. But I need to
> install CentOS 4.8, not 5.

All CentOS 4.x installations should ask for the root password during
installation.  And the stupid question must be asked:  Are you sure you
didn't enter a root password when thinking it was asking for a user
password?  Try your user password on root and see what happens.

IIRC, the installation process is this:

1) Get base installation info including root password
2) Install system
3) Reboot
4) Perform post install setup including at least one user account

--
Bowie