[CentOS] Fan speed control on Supermicro X8DAL board with CentOS

Sun Feb 6 17:48:59 UTC 2011
Ned Slider <ned at unixmail.co.uk>

On 06/02/11 17:15, Chuck Munro wrote:

>> Hi Chuck,
>>
>> The correct kernel module for your chipset is w83627ehf.ko. I'm not sure
>> the driver actually controls fan speed, I thought it was more for
>> monitoring (fan speeds, temps, voltages) but I could be wrong. My
>> current system (not a Supermicro) controls variable fan speed from
>> options within the BIOS. I can enable/disable fan speed control and
>> select either voltage or PWM based control.
>>
>> The stock w83627ehf driver in RHEL5.5 is oldish (they were updated in
>> 5.5 I think but are still over a year old now). ELRepo.org have an
>> updated driver available (kmod-w83627ehf) based on a backport from
>> kernel-2.6.34. I've just checked upstream and a few more patches have
>> been committed since kernel-2.6.34 and the current kernel-2.6.37 so I'll
>> look at updating the elrepo driver with those latest patches.
>>
>> Hope that helps.
>>

> Thanks Ned!  I did go through the board's BIOS menus several times and
> could find only one fan control option, which ranges from always-fast
> for maximum performance to almost-silent for workstation use.  No matter
> what the setting, the fans may start out slow but eventually jump to
> high speed.  Updating the BIOS to the latest version made no difference.
>    I also noticed that at all times the BIOS reports the CPU temperatures
> as "Low" no matter what the fan speed.  The coolers are always cold to
> the touch.
>
> I sure hope I don't have a defective board ... it's a royal pain to have
> to remove one from a large server.  I booted Ubuntu but the live-CD
> version doesn't have a working 'fancontrol' utility.  I'd be tempted to
> install Ubuntu Server but I much prefer staying with CentOS and KVM to
> match all of the guest virtual machines it'll be running.
>
> Time to go through the mobo manual with a fine-tooth comb.  :-)
>
> Chuck

You're welcome Chuck.

Your question prompted me to update the elrepo kmod-w83627ehf driver
package to the latest upstream source (kernel-2.6.37):

http://lists.elrepo.org/pipermail/elrepo/2011-February/000488.html

By all means give that package a try, but I'm not convinced it will
address your problem in this case. Either way, it should be relatively
quick and painless to test - updated packages should be available shortly.

Maybe someone with more experience of this particular Supermicro M/B
will pop up on the list :-)

Regards,

Ned