[CentOS] Strange Kernel for Centos 5.5

Sat Feb 12 04:48:30 UTC 2011
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 02/11/2011 09:36 PM, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 at 6:38pm, Drew wrote
>
>>> RHEL and CentOS have much, much tighter basic privilege handling. The
>>> complexity of the NTFS ACL structure, for example, is so frequently
>>> mishandled that it's often ignored and simply dealt with as
>>> "Administrator". The result is privilege escalation chaos.
>>
>> And how is the user-group-world permissions system any better?
>>
>> I work daily with both *nix & NTFS ACL's and given the choice I prefer
>> NTFS' for the finer grained control.
>
> Erm, *nix has fully functional ACLs as well.  'man setfacl'

In fact, you can do things very easily with *nix acls that are very
difficult in Windows.  For example, you can set different 'Default'
permissions (what will be on things created in the directory) than the
permissions that are actually on the directory.  You can set different
masks for different groups or users in the same directory, etc.