[CentOS] Software RAID Level 1, smartd and changing dev numbers

Wed Feb 16 18:56:30 UTC 2011
Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com>

> >> I use the UUID in fstab rather than '/dev/sda', etc
> >
> > In this case it would be something you give to mdadm to add a device
> > back to a set.  And you'd have to know which one in a rotation was
> > coming back to which machine, something you wouldn't otherwise have to
> > track since it is going to overwrite everything with the re-sync anyway.
>
> We do track (and physically label) that, because there are drives of
> different size/manufacturer/geometry on different servers, so that would
> be ok.

Thought question: is there any *pattern* to the seemingly randomness of
the /dev/sdb vs. /dev/sdc business?  Do disks of certain
sizes/manufacturer/geometry do the switch more or less often?