[CentOS] CentOS 5 on a Thinkpad T60 laptop

Wed Feb 16 22:32:12 UTC 2011
Jerry McAllister <jerrymc at msu.edu>

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 02:03:57PM -0800, Benjamin Smith wrote:

> IMHO, if you are intending to install an O/S, and will need to have an
> Internet connection, you should ALWAYS have a thumb drive and another computer
> with a confirmed Internet connection before starting. The only exception to
> this rule is when installing OSX on a Mac - because they control the hardware
> and the software, you're almost always good to go out of the gate.
>
> Windows is like this, Linux/BSD/etc is the same way.

????  I don't understand your assertion.
I have installed a few hundred FreeBSD systems and never used
a USB drive.  The earlier machines didn't even have them.  I just
stuck in the CD and booted and went merrily along.  Most of the
installs were done over the net with the CD only bringing up the
sysinstall and getting the disk sliced and labeled.

I have also done a few dozen CentOS installs without useing any flash drive.

////jerry