[CentOS] CentOS Donations - Is Money a Curse?

Thu Feb 17 17:33:12 UTC 2011
James B. Byrne <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca>

On Wed, February 16, 2011 17:08, Rainer Duffner wrote:

> Am 16.02.2011 um 22:29 schrieb Larry Vaden:
>

>> Even further, the resistance to properly funding this project is
>> truly amazing.
>

> Well, with money come a lot of strings attached.
>
> Most likely, one would either have to incorporate a business or
> found some not-for-profit entity if large amounts of money
> flowed in.

This is an absolute requirement for us to contribute funds to CentOS.

I put myself in an extremely embarrassing position by donating
company funds to CentOS without previously determining that a
legally independent entity was receiving them. When the controversy
over the CentOS financial arrangements became public and it was
revealed that the monies were flowing to an individual I found
myself in an extremely awkward situation. I am not going to repeat
that experience.

We use CentOS extensively and I am very happy to contribute my own
time and resources where I can. But, our future financial support
for CentOS is contingent upon dealing with an independent legal
entity that conforms with national and international tax laws and
corporate reporting requirements.

Canada  L8E 3C3