[CentOS] Software RAID Level 1, smartd and changing dev numbers

Fri Feb 18 15:46:43 UTC 2011
Tom H <tomh0665 at gmail.com>

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 10:22 PM, Scott Robbins <scottro at nyc.rr.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 09:05:41PM -0500, Tom H wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 3:09 PM, compdoc <compdoc at hotrodpc.com> wrote:
>> >>
>> In Ubuntu and Fedora, UUID's the default replacement of "/dev/sdXY"
>> devices, but md and lvm devices are referred to in more "traditional"
>> fstab stanzas.
>
> Possibly worth mentioning that it does sometimes break--at least in
> Fedora, I can think of a few times it's happened to me, and a few more
> times where it's happened on their forums, where an update would then
> fail to boot, saying, unable to locate root (or something similar) which
> could be fixed by changing the UUID to /dev/sdwhatever

I've only seen two cases of UUIDs "breaking".

1. You put a second Linux install on the box, mkswap's run during the
installation process and the UUID of the swap partition's modified so
that the initial install cannot recognize its swap partition.

2. There's more than one filesystem signature in the MBR and mount's
therefore (understandably) confused.