[CentOS] Any update on 5.6 / 6?

Mon Feb 21 02:24:32 UTC 2011
Always Learning <centos at g7.u22.net>

On Mon, 2011-02-21 at 02:04 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> Dag Wieers wrote:
>
> > Regardless, I do think CentOS 5.6 is much more important than CentOS 6.0.
> > As there is a direct security impact to users.
>
> Could you explain that more fully, please?
> I've actually been puzzled why the developers are bothering with 5.6,
> if 6.0 very shortly.

May I volunteer:

(a) there is a security risk which needs addressing;

(b) everyone is NOT going to abandon Centos 5 overnight when Centos 6
comes out - that is definitely not the nature of the vast majority of
Centos 5 users who want stability and a quiet and peaceful life -
because a massive amount of testing will be required to satisfy users,
in the technical sense, that Centos 6 is as stable and reliable as
Centos 5 and that everything which currently works well with Centos 5
will also work equally well with Centos 6 .... and customisations of
Centos 5 items can be re-customised to work equally well with Centos 6.
These tasks are likely to take weeks rather than a few minutes.

(c) Inevitably when Centos 6 come out, lots will be staying on Centos 5
and gradually migrating to Centos 6 when they are satisfied everything
will work properly, effectively and not give them sleepless nights and
headaches or cause their systems to crash or applications to
malfunction. Some will wait on Centos 5 until others who have migrated
to Centos 6 have discovered, and resolved, the problems before they
begin their own move.  Don't forget Centos 5 is not only used by those
playing at home running Space Invaders, it is also used by serious
businesses (and organisations) doing serious tasks with serious
repercussions when computer things go wrong.

That is probably why our dedicated Centos team are not leaving us "in
the lurch" by concentrating only on Centos 6. These civic minded heroes
are putting the public's best interests first and ensuring existing
users continue to enjoy a really first-class service with Centos 5.

--

With best regards,

Paul.
England,