[CentOS] Any update on 5.6 / 6?

Mon Feb 21 17:23:11 UTC 2011
Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com>

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 11:35 AM, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:

> The packages have to be built in a specific order, preferably the order
> that they are originally produced in, so that they can be linked
> properly.  Package A builds, then Package B, then Package C.  If package
> B is broken, it needs to be fixed, then Package C needs to be built, etc.

What's the order for CentOS 6? This is published nowhere: all I can
find is http://people.centos.org/hughesjr/buildsystem/, which seems
targeted for CentOS 5.

> This is not something that can be done by several people at the same
> time in parallel, no.  Not and be done correctly.

Sure it can!!! That's what source control is for!!!! The local
branches with personal tweaks are kept local, and require an
occasional pull (or merge) from the upstream canonical repository.

The smaller changes, such as wrappers to address missing dependencies
or tweaks to deal with

> This is very complex to bootstrap an OS from the beginning when upstream
> does not provide all the build requirements in one repo.
>
> I am not sure what you want ... mabye you should try building it
> yourself and see how easy or hard it is.

I've got a CentOS 5 build environment up and running, from a ways
back. But you say I need RHEL 5.90 beta or Fedora 12 to work from from
to build RHEL 6 SRPMS? That will take some setup, and it's documented
nowhere.