[CentOS] security cameras

Wed Feb 23 14:39:53 UTC 2011
Trutwin, Joshua <JTRUTWIN at CSBSJU.EDU>

> I heard about some inexpensive security cameras which get their power
> through the same cat5 cable which delivers the data/pictures (which would
> simplify wiring tremendously).  Does anyone know about these?  Do they
> work with Linux, particularly CentOS?

I have a security camera, though not powered through the cat5, will have to check that out...  Anyway, I'd recommend these sites:

http://www.zoneminder.com/
http://www.cctvcamerapros.com/

Right now I have my camera attached to an RF modulator and splitter which merges the signal onto the coax run on channel 65 so I can watch it on my TV.  As far as integrating with Linux, would check out Zone Minder link above, otherwise if you modulate onto your TV stream like I did you can then just use mythtv or any capture program if you wanted to schedule captures, etc.

Have fun,

Josh