[CentOS] current bind version

Thu Feb 24 23:43:49 UTC 2011
Ross Walker <rswwalker at gmail.com>

On Feb 24, 2011, at 9:31 AM, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:

> I am not saying this to be a smart a$$ or be negative ... just saying
> that other enterprise distributions exist that provide long term
> stability without backports ... Unbuntu LTS is a free example.  They
> also provide integration of all their system libraries and audit their
> software for security compliance.

I think the primary driving factor for Redhat to employ the backport method is to maintain a stable ABI across a release, and the primary reason for that is for third party application support.

Redhat wants to provide a platform for which commercial vendors can develop their wares such that they can say it supports RHEL 5 or 6 and it will actually run on said platform without loss of functionality or stability.

I doubt the same can be said about Ubuntu LTS or even SLES where a change in a library can result in either the third party application not working or working with limited functionality.

-Ross