[CentOS] yum update troubles

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 00:27:57 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 3:42 PM, Benjamin Franz <jfranz at freerun.com> wrote:
> On 01/04/2011 11:48 AM, Luigi Rosa wrote:
>> --
>> I am not a Perl expert, but in my experience the packages installed with CPAN
>> and with RPM does not overwrite each other. CPAN stores the libraries in a
>> different directory in which Perl looks for libraries before than looking for
>> the libraries downloaded with RPM.
>>
>> This is according my experience, but some Perl installation expert will be able
>> to clarify this issue.
>
> Right up until an update for Perl itself is pushed - and then you will
> find all your packages gone. If you need to tweek, use cpan2rpm to
> generate rpms. I've generally found the issues are tied to man files -
> so if you suppress the man file generation in the spec and stick with
> perldoc for a module's documentation you can generally work around the
> conflicts.

This is why http://perl.arix.com/cpan2rpm/ exists. It's very handy for
precisely this sort of situation.

It doesn't protect against advanced modules that are now part of the
base Perl deployment, or that used to be part of it, but it was
critical to my development of the first complete Bugzilla RPM's, and
invaluable for submitting .spec files to RPMforge or EPEL.