[CentOS] [OT] RHEVM List

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 12:58:12 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 6:31 AM, Simon Grinberg <simon at redhat.com> wrote:

> What I understand with from the thread you are trying to use openfiler as your target, have you considered tgt? (I'm using this on all my setups)
> Farther more, please try to avoid exposing storage from a VMware workstation VM, the IO performance is far from being satisfactory and may result in poor evaluation experience. If you must have your storage in a VM then it's better to use KVM virtual machine (Found both on Centos or RHEL distributions), use virtio disk and network, and install RHEL/Centos 5.5 guests. Alternative, if you must use VMware is to use ESXi.

For RHEL 5 and CentOS 5, I found KVM to be useless. The management
tool is not good, and the bridged networking requirement is very
awkward, and it performed like a dog being beaten with a missing leg.

 I'm interested in trying it for RHEL 6 and CentOS 6, but until then
I'm personally relying on VMWare ESX for institution virtualization,
and Virtualbox because it's a much more usable configuration interface
tool and uses "Right-Ctrl" to release the mouse from the virtualized
console instead of "Ctrl-Alt". VMWare could learn a lot from Sun's and
now Oracle's efforts with that tool.