[CentOS] replace x86 with x64 system and reuse existing LVM

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Mon Jan 10 14:10:50 UTC 2011

> I want to replace an existing 32bit with a 64bit installation (Centos 5).
> There's an existing LVM with lots of partitions. Most are used for Xen
> guests. The system itself uses only one of them plus a separate /boot
> partition that is not on LVM.
> What's the best course of action here? Should I do the reinstall with
> kickstart or better manually and reuse the existing filesystem? As I
> understand once LVM gets loaded it should find the volumes by itself, but
> will it be able to use the same naming scheme for instance? Or do I have
> to do some additional stuff, anyway?

You should re-install the O/S.  You can re-use the existing volumes,
but you should have the installer remake (as in mkfs.ext2/3) the root
(/), /var, and /usr file systems.  You can keep /home, etc. as is
(assuming it is a separate file systems.  If you have enough space
available in your volumn group, you can create a new root file system
for the 64-bit system and use that.  You can re-use the /boot file
system if you plan on making things 'dual boot'.  You can do this
(except create new logical volumns, unless you are using the GUI
installer)) from the 'custom layout' screen in the installer.