[CentOS] ext4 or XFS

James A. Peltier jpeltier at sfu.ca
Tue Jan 11 21:17:12 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
| On Jan 11, 2011, at 10:59 AM, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:

| >> You will need XFS for a single partition that large. You won't be
| >> able
| >> to make such a large ext4 partition, I don't think.
| >
| > This is correct. While ext4 theoretically supports volumes (much)
| > larger
| > than 16TB, the developers don't think it's production ready yet and
| > the
| > userspace tools don't support it yet.
| >
| > So, short answer -- XFS is the only way to go.
| >

| My RAID has a strip size of of 32KB and a block size of 512bytes.
|
| I've usually just done blind XFS formats but would like to tune it for
| smaller files. Of course big/small is relative but in my env, small
| means sub 300MB or so.
|
| What would your XFS tuning params be for such an env?
|
| - aurf

Your sw and su options should match the number of *usable* data disk and your stripe size to best optimize performance.

Do *not* create a volume this large unless you have a lot of memory.  If you ever need to run an xfs_check on the volume you could be looking at 10s of GB of memory.  I just ran an xfs_check on an 11TB volume used by our medical imaging lab and the xfs_check/xfs_db process grew to around 32GB of CentOS 5.5 64-bit.

--
James A. Peltier
Research Computing Group
E-Mail  : jpeltier at sfu.ca