[CentOS] Kernel Errors Present

compdoc compdoc at hotrodpc.com
Wed Jan 12 15:14:15 UTC 2011

Bad sectors get reallocated automatically, so you might not find any with
testing. You need to see how many have been reallocated.

SMART should already be enabled, so maximize your term window and type:

smartctl -a /dev/sdb

That will show the reallocated sector count, as well as power on hours, and
temps, etc. Do that for each drive.

If its attached to a raid controller, you have to take additional steps as
found on google.

If there are any reallocated sectors, you might want to think about
replacing it. I have a customer with a failing drive in a server that causes
it to freeze from time to time as it develops new bad sectors. I'm replacing
it this weekend...