[CentOS] Bonding performance question

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Wed Jan 12 17:32:06 UTC 2011

On Tue, 11 Jan 2011, James Pearson wrote:

> You could use xmit_hash_policy=layer2+3 - which just uses MAC and IP
> addresses (which you do have more control over) - and see if you can
> pick a mix of IP/MAC addresses that would result in all four
> interfaces being used (theoretically) - and see if it matches
> reality?

I semi-apologize for this question, but I don't have a suitably
equipped machine-switch combination free for testing, so I can't do
empirical testing.

I don't see the layer2+3 option listed in the CentOS 5.5 bonding
module:

# modinfo bonding | egrep 'version|xmit'
version:        3.4.0
srcversion:     0B48FBAC9285804638A6BE7
parm:           xmit_hash_policy:XOR hashing method: 0 for layer 2
                 (default), 1 for layer 3+4 (charp)

Is the layer2+3 option simply undocumented via modinfo or is it not
present in the CentOS bonding module?