[CentOS] keychain problem

Cameron Kerr cameron at humbledown.org
Sat Jan 15 23:15:03 UTC 2011

On 16/01/2011, at 11:56 AM, Cameron Kerr wrote:

> On 16/01/2011, at 5:22 AM, bluethundr wrote:
>
>> I have this line in my .bashrc file
>>
>> $(keychain --eval --quick --quiet private_key1 private_key2 private_key3)
>
> Should not this go into your ~/.bash_profile?
>
> (disclaimer: I've not used the 'keychain' program before)

According to the docs for keychain, it should look something more like the following:

eval `keychain --eval --agents ssh id_dsa`

The 'eval' at the start is probably more important than you think... I noted myself that the following are quite different in a bash script I was working on:

"$@"

eval "$@"

(only the latter works, the former ended up not doing anything in a #!/bin/bash script)

https://github.com/funtoo/keychain  and http://www.funtoo.org/en/security/keychain/intro/  for more information regarding keychain. You might also like adding    || exit 1   or similar to the 'eval' call, for debugging, as shown in the docs.