[CentOS] Troubles for an non-IT beginner

Digimer linux at alteeve.com
Sun Jan 16 19:47:33 UTC 2011

On 01/16/2011 02:35 PM, Parshwa Murdia wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 8:32 PM, Digimer <linux at alteeve.com
> <mailto:linux at alteeve.com>> wrote:
>
>     I'd have to search through the CentOS mirror list to find it. Given the
>     geographic spread of the mirrors though, you would be best served to
>     search yourself for one near you.
>

> Ok.
>

>     By all means, try CentOS, but if you run into problems, please give
>     Fedora or Ubuntu a try
>     before abandoning Linux. They are much more up to date and have a much
>     nicer user experience and hardware support.
>

> Means, it is pretty sure or the chances are there that problems would
> come when we would use Cent OS??

Well, the user programs will be a fair bit older. So things like
OpenOffice, Firefox, Thunderbird and what have you will be missing
features now considered "standard" in modern systems.

The kernel is, if I recall correctly, 2.6.18 that has only been patched
to fix bugs and security features. The modern kernel is 2.6.37, and a
*lot* of hardware has come along in the years in between. For example,
it's unlikely that things like bluetooth, most wireless interfaces,
modern video cards, etc, will work.

Another option, if you are concerned about the short life cycle of
Fedora, would be to look at Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. The 'LTS' means "Long Term
Support" and will be supported for a fairly long time. 10.04 was
released last April, so it will be quite up to date.

--
Digimer
E-Mail: digimer at alteeve.com
AN!Whitepapers: http://alteeve.com