[CentOS] Troubles for an non-IT beginner

Geoff Galitz geoff at galitz.org
Wed Jan 19 06:51:31 UTC 2011

> Wrong on the demise of the Sparc.     Oracle just posted a massively
> record breaking TPC-C benchmark using their new Sparc T3 servers,
> something like 30 MILLION TPM.

Oracle has very publically committed to keeping SPARC strong, which is good
news for those of us believe in diversity in the compute-verse.  Even so,
SPARC is also supported by Fujitsu, so as they... "[SPARC's] demise has been
greatly exaggerated."

> There's also Power aka PPC, formerly used in Apple Macintosh computers,
> and still used on large scale IBM AIX Unix servers, the Power series.
> These also are very high performance.

Just a minor nit here, POWER is not the same thing as PPC.  PPC branched
from POWER with strong influences from other vendors and technologies.  PPC
has since evolved into a mostly embedded platform, though later POWER
releases are (mostly) compatible with PPC.

One of my former employers (a fossilized System V UNIX vendor) was part of
the alliance that worked on a common UNIX implementation for this processor
family, which sadly, never came to fruition.