[CentOS] When are Logwatch errors really errors

Lisandro Grullon lgrullon at CityTech.Cuny.Edu
Wed Jan 19 16:25:14 UTC 2011

Hi jason,
Thank you for pointing this out. I am running 5.5 in 5 new boxes suddenly the boxes would start randomly rebooting. Checking the logs point out to smartd in all the boxes. I should all of them out except one. In that one I disable and shutdown smartd and the machine has been running ok for 5 hours, could smartd causing init 6 calls, if so, why isn't syslogd catching those calls. All that pointed to smartd was the last call before reboot. You can see my post at

https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=29777&start=0#forumpost123773

For now I am leaving smartd off and will monitor if it keep rebooting, 5 hours have passed and things are still running. I will report back in the thread when the 24 hour mark ticks. I got the feeling that smartd is being evil to us.

>>> Jason S-M  01/07/11 11:25 AM >>>
Hi All,

I don't know enough about when errors are *really* errors. So I google a lot to read and learn.

I have a few things in my Logwatch that I want to make sure I understand

1. smartd
**Unmatched Entries**
Problem creating device name scan list
Device /dev/sda: using '-d sat' for ATA disk behind SAT layer.
Device /dev/sdb: using '-d sat' for ATA disk behind SAT layer.
Device: /dev/sdc, NO MEDIUM present; skip device
Device: /dev/sdd, NO MEDIUM present; skip device
Device: /dev/sde, NO MEDIUM present; skip device
Device: /dev/sdf, NO MEDIUM present; skip device

I googled and since I know the devices I have I can comment out
#DEVICESCAN -H -m root

and replace with:

/dev/sda -a -d sat -m root -M exec /usr/share/smartmontools/smartd-runner
/dev/sdb -a -d sat -m root -M exec /usr/share/smartmontools/smartd-runner

2. kernel

WARNING:  Kernel Errors Present
   amd64_edac: probe of 0000:00:18.2 failed with error -22 ...:  1 Time(s)

I googled this and I only had 5 hits that I could not make sense of. Can anyone shed some light?

3. automount
**Unmatched Entries**
lookup_read_master: lookup(nisplus): couldn't locate nis+ table auto.master: 1 Time(s)

I googled and this seems to be a RHEL bug?

Can anyone confirm and explain?

-Jason