[CentOS] disk quotas + centos 5,5 +xfs

aurfalien at gmail.com aurfalien at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 02:52:56 UTC 2011

On Jan 18, 2011, at 12:21 AM, Benjamin Donnachie wrote:

> On 18 Jan 2011, at 02:16, "aurfalien at gmail.com"
> <aurfalien at gmail.com> wrote:
>> is any one aware quotas not working in 5,5?  I'm using XFS as a
>> file system.
>
> They work just fine; first hit on Google, http://linux.die.net/man/8/xfs_quota

That had some typos and the man locally was more accurate.

In the event that any one else wants to do this, some notes;

1 - xfs_quota -x /dev/sdc1 worked versus that actual named mount point
of foo.
2 - quota warnings default to 7 days, running state when in xfs-quota
mode tells you its default.  I had to set it globally to 1 second
instead of per user as it seems the per user warning time was ignored.

I also read this from SGIs XFS PractiCal Exercises which I found very
helpful, especially regarding directory based quotas;

oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/training/xfs_lab_05.pdf

And thanks to those who pointed out tXFS quota.

And by the way, on my 16x2TB disk, 32TB raw = 24TB usable Raid 6 + hot
spare, it took ~20 hours to rebuild.  There were some who expressed
concern over such a large volume and rebuild times.

And also thanks for the Raid 6 suggestion.

- aurf