[CentOS] Is it okay?

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 17:01:26 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 11:46 AM, Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu> wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 19, 2011 06:38:12 pm Scott Robbins wrote:
>>
>> Boot has to be huge in Fedora for the preupgrade to have a chance of
>> working--having given up on it several releases ago, I have no idea if
>> it's been improved or not.
>
> This is obviously straying from the topicality of this list, but yes the
> mechanism has been improved at least between F13 and F14, as I
> did do a preupgrade on my development/testing box, which will likely
> go to CentOS 6 or SL6 some time RSN.

IIRC, Fedora's pre-upgrade was failing because "/boot"'s default size
is/was 200MB and the workaround was to clear out some space by keeping
just one kernel and removing the "hidden space" allocated to root on
"/boot".

We have to hope that this'll be taken into account and "/boot"'s
default set larger if pre-upgrade's coming to CentOS 6. (Would
pre-upgrade be to go from CentOS 6 to CentOS 7?!)