[CentOS] How to disable screen locking system-wide?

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 20 20:08:10 UTC 2011

John Hodrien wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jan 2011, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>
>> I don't know about you, but a user leaving his desk (for any purpose,
>> other than going home) doesn't cause a security risk. I trust all our
>> staff, and when Andrew goes on lunch I expect him to leave his PC
>> unlocked.
>
> I think I see things differently.  Allowing others to access your account *is*
> a security risk.  It potentially opens confidential data open to other people,
> and leaves that specific user open to abuse through people using their
> machine.  You might as well just pin your passwords on the notice board and be
> done.  After all, you trust all your staff.

This is not a supposition, I've seen it happen. I worked at
a company where one guy disabled his keyboard locker. One day he
left for lunch. When he came back, Security escorted him to HR,
where he was asked to explain why he sent several racist e-mails
all over the company. He had "a few days off" while they investigated
the incident, and the culprit was found. The culprit thought it
was all just a prank, and that's what was intended, but both of them
got in lots of trouble. Official memos to everyone followed.

At home, I keep my keyboard locked the instant I leave it because
of potential security breaches, using the little "lock screen (sic)"
button on the pop up menu on the left. Just about the only GUI button
I use.

OTOH, I have cats :-)

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.