[CentOS] Is it okay?

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Fri Jan 21 17:34:57 UTC 2011

Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Friday, January 21, 2011 11:01:01 am Les Mikesell wrote:
>> The first few RHEL releases sort of looked like the same
>> pattern where there would be 2 fedora versions replacing the X.0, X.1
>> RH's with the 3rd in the set being RHEL, but it didn't stay that way
>> very long and quickly got to the point where is wasn't worth even
>> testing on fedora because things would just be completely different in
>> the next release and there was no effort to maintain hardware
>> compatibility or user data across the upgrades - or sometimes even for
>> minor updates.
<snip>
> I have also seen CentOS (and by extension the upstream) kernels break
> things, reorder ethernet ports, etc.

Haven't seen the kernel break things, with the exception of *sigh* NVidia
drivers.... I've also seen it reorder ethernet ports, but finally found
the simple solution (/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethx, and add
the HWADDR)

>> And before someone else points it out, I know RH8 and RH9 didn't use the
>> .0 minor number (perhaps to avoid the buggy connotation) but they were
>> really more fedora-like and broke more things than users had come to
>> expect in the the RH tradition.
>
> Technically this isn't true.  I'm looking at my shelf of boxed sets, and
> the first one without a .0 was 7.  I don't still have my box for RH8, but
> I do actually have a machine running with RH8....

Lazy! If I fired up my currently-not-running firewall/router at home, it's
got RH9.
<snip>
> In contrast, I returned to Fedora at F11, and haven't had major issues
> with moving from 11 to 12 to 13 to 14.  In fact, the 13 to 14 experience
> was rather smooth, particularly for bleeding edge.
>
> But that's what Fedora is; bleeding edge, and if that's what you need,
> that's what you need.

Lessee, FC10->FC13, screw with /boot, finally get it, and X DOES NOT WORK,
then I got it working, but gnome is completely broken, and you can't log
in, then find that gnome is hostile to window manager switching, and I had
to remove all of gnome to get KDE to run (and not have gnome try to run),
then for weeks, I had random panics....

> Your mileage (and breakage) may vary.

It did, indeed.

          mark "that was FC14 that broke X yesterday"