[CentOS] Is it okay?

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Fri Jan 21 18:33:03 UTC 2011

Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Friday, January 21, 2011 12:34:57 pm m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> Haven't seen the kernel break things, with the exception of *sigh*
>> NVidia drivers.... I've also seen it reorder ethernet ports, but
finally found
>> the simple solution (/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethx, and add
>> the HWADDR)
>
> You use the RPMfusion kmod's, and use the yum plugin to protect them,
> right?

For nVIdia? I've been manually building the driver using the proprietary
kit. One of these days, I'll try the... who is it, rpmforge? that has the
packages? If that works, I'll have a literal handful of machines that I'll
do that for.

>> Lazy! If I fired up my currently-not-running firewall/router at home,
>> it's got RH9.
>
> I'll let the following speak for itself.  Read it carefully. It's from a
> running machine.
> # cat /etc/redhat-release
> Red Hat Linux release 5.2 (Apollo)
> # uname -a
> Linux localhost.localdomain 2.0.36 #3 Fri Apr 9 15:36:11 EDT 1999 i586

Argh! You're one of *those*....
<snip>
> What's that about 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' at least with boxes
> that don't have a direct Internet connection......and this box is doing
> its job, and doing it well, and with the features that meet the need.

Right, and it's not online. Big changes, if it ever does go online. Hey, I
was just using my box a year and a half ago. But I built it for its
purpose: no compilers, no X, no diddly-squat, *and* I'd run Bastille Linux
on it. To the best of my knowledge, over 10 years, I'd never had an
intrusion.

> [snip]
>>           mark "that was FC14 that broke X yesterday"
>
> Filed a bug report, right? :-)

*If* I could pin down the exact cause, and I can't play around with the
machine, since the user needed it *now*....

        mark