[CentOS] ifcfg-rh: error: Unknown connection type 'Bridge'

Bob Hepple bhepple at promptu.com
Sat Jan 22 06:17:46 UTC 2011

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 21:40:34 -0800
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:

> is there a good howto somewhere on how to manually setup wireless
> connections without NetworkManager ?
>
> wifi requires a lot of juju to be setup just so.

This works for me (actually on fedora-13, but centos-5 should be
similar, maybe even the same) - it assumes you've got the driver
installed - mine is ath5k and it comes up with device wlan0 in
"ifconfig -a":

of course, edit this for your network:

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0:

# Atheros Communications Inc. AR5212/AR5213 Multiprotocol MAC/baseband processor
DEVICE=wlan0
HWADDR=00:22:b0:70:ac:e3
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=none
IPADDR=192.168.101.18
USERCTL=yes
PEERDNS=yes
IPV6INIT=no
NM_CONTROLLED=no
TYPE=Wireless
ESSID=Baroona
MODE=Managed
RATE=auto
SEARCH="oz.promptu.com"
DOMAIN="oz.promptu.com"
GATEWAY=192.168.101.1
DNS1=211.29.132.12
DNS2=198.142.0.51
SECURITYMODE=open
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.101.0
BROADCAST=192.168.101.255
CHANNEL=

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/keys-wlan0:
KEY=xxxxxxxxxx

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/route-wlan0:

# this is the 'old' format: just gets added to "ip route add "
192.168.101.0/24 dev wlan0
default via 192.168.101.1

Then just the usual:
ifup wlan0