[CentOS] Xen; xm usb-add syntax - or - where is xm usb-attach

Pasi Kärkkäinen pasik at iki.fi
Sat Jan 22 14:20:28 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 10:53:15AM -0800, aurfalien at gmail.com wrote:
> On Jan 18, 2011, at 5:40 AM, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 04:46:49PM -0800, aurfalien at gmail.com wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I'm running Centos 5.5 with Xen 4.0.1
> >>
> >> Would like to use a USB key (not a block device) in my domU.
> >>
> >> Dom0 lsusb yields;
> >>
> >> Bus 002 Device 004: ID 064f:0bd8 ABC-Systems AB CDE/FG
> >>
> >> xm usb-add shows;
> >>
> >> Usage: xm usb-add <domain> <[host:bus.addr]
> >> [host:vendor_id:product_id]>
> >>
> >> Not sure what combo will work in this case.
> >>
> >> However, I've read some notes regarding xm usb-attach.  What subset
> >> of
> >> Xen do I need for this command to show?
> >>

> > http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenUSBPassthrough
>

> Hi Pasi,
>
> This wasn't very helpful.
>
> Is there any definitive answer on wether USB passthrough works using
> Xen 4.0.1 and Centos 5.5?

centos5 kernel-xen does NOT have xen pvusb drivers included,
so pvusb won't work, unless you grab/build the drivers from http://xenbits.xen.org/linux-2.6.18-xen.hg

Xen HVM guest qemu-dm USB passthru (usb 1.1) should be available,
but that is only for Xen HVM VMs, not for PV domUs.

If using pvops 2.6.32 dom0 kernel, then pvusb drivers
are available here: http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2011-01/msg00354.html

-- Pasi