[CentOS] ifcfg-rh: error: Unknown connection type 'Bridge'

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 14:20:52 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 12:05 AM, Gordon Messmer <yinyang at eburg.com> wrote:
> On 01/22/2011 08:28 PM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>> Unfortunately, this is not sufficiently reliable. Some idiot may
>> re-run it
>
> Re-enabling NetworkManager requires the root password.  If someone can
> turn it back on with 'chkconfig' or another service management tool,
> they can also re-install it.

I often have to hand off as-stable-as-possible systems to developers,
and have done so in different professional roles. Turning it off at
chkconfig is like taking the bullets out, but locking them in the same
cabinet as the gun.

Ripping out NetworkManager (for RHEL 5/CentOS 5) is like taking away
all the bullets. Putting in the NM_CONTROLLED="no" setting allows a
bit more refinement: it can be disabled on a port by port basis.

> You may feel that it is worth the effort to remove NetworkManager
> entirely, but I think most people will agree that there's no need to do so.

It's really painful for RHEL 6

>> The key to *keeping* it off in RHEL 6, and I assume in CentOS 6, is
>> the setting NM_CONTROLLED="no" in the
>> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-* files. This is a new setting in
>> RHEL 6, and I'm having difficulty finding documentation for it
>
> File a bug with the "initscripts" component.  That setting *should* be
> documented in /usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt, but isn't.

Good point. Next week, with my service contracts in hand.