[CentOS] adding raid1 to running system

dwoody1

dwoody1 at charter.net
Mon Jan 24 20:15:21 UTC 2011

I have followed the procedure on the Centos page:

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/CentOS5ConvertToRAID

My setup is slightly different. I am using two partitions, / and /home.
I have setup swap as a file, /home/swapfile.

My hard drives are 500Gig sda and sdb.

In modifying the instructions for initializing  sdb I have:

used /dev/md0 for / (sdb1)
used /dev/md1 for /home (sdb2)

In section 3.6

The line:
mount /dev/RaidSys/Root /mnt/root.new

was changed to
mount /dev/md0 /mnt/root.new

Everything seems to go well until I get to section 4.4.1/4.4.2 Install grub.
The commands for installing grub show success but when I edit the
/mnt/root.new/boot/grub/menu.lst
the contents still point to hd0 not hd1.

In section 4.4.4 I am not sure how the following should be changed:
umount /mnt/boot.new
mount /dev/md0 /mnt/root.new/boot

The umount is not needed in my case but should the second line be:
mount /dev/md0 /mnt/root.new

Other info I have found includes creating a /etc/mdadm.conf. This is not
referred to in the instructions.

Are the changes I have made correct? Am I missing any other changes?

Thanks for any help,

David