[CentOS] Recommendation for a Linux alternative to Centos - ATH9K disaster

Always Learning centos at g7.u22.net
Tue Jan 25 18:18:38 UTC 2011

Jerry Franz wrote:

> For a new laptop your best hope for a successful native install is
> probably Ubuntu 10.10. Laptops in particular are difficult platforms for
> hardware support and CentOS5 is not 'cutting edge'. If you want CentOS
> on it to work well, you will probably need to wait for CentOS6 - which
> could be a month or two.

I'm eagerly waiting for Centos 6. Is so refreshingly nice to use a real
computer operating system. It reminds me of the good old mainframe days
long before MS-DOS 1.

Thank you for the recommendation. I'll have a look at Ubuntu.

Mark suggested http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/ath9k/RHEL5
which might solve the problem and produce a working Centos wifi.

Centos is not 'cutting-edge'. It's just solid, reliable, plain boring
and just works. Everything a good computer system should be.

> An alternative I've used is to install VMware Workstation on top of
> Windows and install Linux into a VM. Running fullscreen the practical
> difference is nil. Then you by and large get the laptop hardware support
> gratis from the windows layer including things like wireless and video
> drivers drivers.

I'll keep that as a back-up option.

Thank you very much.

Best regards,