[CentOS] mail problems after setting up lynx for https with c_rehash

Rob Kampen

rkampen at kampensonline.com
Tue Jan 25 21:12:36 UTC 2011

Hi List,
I am not sure it's related but after I ran c_rehash over my ssl
certificate directory I am having email delay problems.
1. my thunderbird client now regularly times out and tells me the smtp
server is not available - a retry always works - this never occurred before.
I do use TLS for the smtp server on port 25 for my connection.
2. another mail server that regularly sends me mail reports:-

    **      THIS IS A WARNING MESSAGE ONLY      **
    **  YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESEND YOUR MESSAGE  **

The original message was received at Mon, 24 Jan 2011 21:12:16 -0800
from relay07 [10.183.136.126]

<rkampen at reaching-clients.com>... Deferred: 403 4.7.0 TLS handshake failed.
Warning: message still undelivered after 1 minute
Will keep trying until message is 5 days old

The mails arrive just fine a bit later - related??
I have checked the load on the server - low
I have checked maillog and can see nothing different or unusual
running centos 5.5 on 2.6.18-194.26.1.el5
BTW lynx with https is working just fine now
Not sure where to look next - any ideas or suggestions appreciated
TIA