[CentOS] Recommendation for a Linux alternative to Centos - ATH9K disaster

Always Learning centos at g7.u22.net
Wed Jan 26 04:49:55 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-01-25 at 13:46 -0500, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:

> Always Learning wrote:
> <snip>
> > Thanks for the Ubuntu recommendation. I tend to buy the DVD's and
> > install from them. I have VBox running Win98SE on a Centos desktop
> > because I want to run software and applications from 1992 (my own DOS
> > Cobol database) which also runs in DosBox, 1993 (my customised Ami Pro
>
> Why not install gcc, and recompile your COBOL for Linux? <g>
> <snip>
>
>         mark, pulling a brown paper bag over his head before admitting
>                  to having written a *lot* of COBOL back before I got to
>                  Unix

Years ago, before I discovered PHP, I might have.

Cobol was the second language I leaned in 1967 from a hardware
manufacturer's tutor who didn't have a clue. The first was Easycoder (an
assembler type) which I loved.

Having used Cobol for 30+ years and remembering it with some affection
and also remembering a Schiphol airport programmer's 15 page compound IF
statement (Hallo Hans! 60 coding lines a page; GO TO was banned) it is a
bit long-winded. These days I prefer PHP with the fast MySQL databases.

--

With best regards,

Paul.
England,